Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Individual Post on the Characterization of The House of the Scorpion

Here is a post I created based of my thoughts regarding the characterization of The House of the Scorpion.


What I thought was most interesting about the characterization in The House of the Scorpion was how quickly characters developed in between two chapters. From chapter to chapter they often would have a different output or view on a certain situation. The characters that I thought exhibited this the most were Maria and Matt. In a way this was interesting to see what situations would cause them to develop from chapter to chapter but in a way it was also a bit rushed and confusing. I often found myself wondering how could they change so much. I think it may have been because there is about a years worth of time in every chapter. I think it would have made the novel easier to read if the passage of time was more obvious such as displaying Matt’s actual age at the beginning of each chapter. I think that all the characters in the novel had really good contrast with each other such as El Patrons greed and Celia’s giving nature. I thought that Farmer juggled the amount of characters included in the novel well especially regarding foil characters that brought out the good and bad in others to help you see their true colours. An example of this is how sweet Tom acted around Maria but when he was around Matt he became an unnatural little weevil. One other part of the characterization of The House of the Scorpion that I thought really enhanced the narrative and drew the reader’s attention in was the amount of metaphors used to describe character or humanity in general. (“When he was young he made a choice, like a tree does when it decides to grow one way or the other. He (El Patron) grew large and green until he shadowed over the whole forest, but most of his branches are twisted.” Farmer 70) One question I had about the characterization of the novel was how were those that were not eejits in Opium living? Were they rich or poor? From this I also wondered how much of the population had been turned into eejits questioning if only the rich and powerful remained unaltered or if there was a middle class in this society?

No comments:

Post a Comment